Sunday, May 8, 2011

Reflecting on Mother's Day



My mom always jokes that I've wanted to be a mom since I was 2 years old. She might actually be telling the truth. I was always the little girl playing with dolls or Barbies or playing "house." It's not that I was a girly-girl, it's that I wanted to be the mom. I can't ever remember wanting to be something else. Even when I was thinking about a "career" it always had something to do with kids (pediatrician, preschool teacher, daycare worker, etc.). October 31, 2011 that dream came true. It was one of the happiest days of my life. Today is Mother's Day. My first. And I'm so excited to be able to celebrate this day along with so many other beautiful women across this nation. But today wouldn't be possible for me if it wasn't for my wonderful son, Micah. So, in honor of Mother's Day I want to write him a letter.

Micah, you are my world. Before you I didn't know what I was missing. I didn't know that there was a part of me that was created just to love you. You made me come alive in a way that I'd never known before. When I held you for the first time all I could think about was how much I love you and how I will do anything for you.

You are the sweetest little man. You have such an easy-going personality. You're constantly smiling at everybody, even when you're so tired. You're so independent, but you still need me. You can play by yourself for quite a while, but if I want to hold you and snuggle you don't mind. I love our snuggle time before you go to sleep. I hold you close and sing "Jesus Loves Me." You snuggle your head into my chest and just sit there, listening. You love music. Doesn't matter what kind, and it's even better if Mommy or Daddy are making fools out of themselves and dancing to the music. You also love to be outside. Going for walks is one of your favorite things, it's something we do almost every day. I love experiencing God's nature through your eyes. We try to point out the change in seasons to you and it just makes me so much more aware of this wonderful creation God has given us. Our days are full together. We have so much fun playing and singing, but my favorite is at night when you're asleep. When I walk into your bedroom to check on you, it's like everything else fades away. All the stress from the day is gone because there you are, so beautiful and peaceful. A reminder of the grace that God has shown me. Micah, without you I would not be a mom, my most treasured dream. Thank you for lighting up my life and filling my heart to overflowing. I love you so much.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment