Saturday, July 30, 2011

July Dates

The monthly dates have returned. Technically they never went anywhere, we just haven't completed them all. Yet. In May we were supposed to go to a drive-in movie. When I was originally planning the dates I even found an drive-in theater. But I didn't realize just how far away it was. Two hours just wasn't worth it to us. Do you know what time we'd get home?! Besides, we went on vacation in May and that ate up a lot of our time. So, we were okay with our vacation time instead.

June. Well, I'm not even going to tell you about June yet. We're halfway done. And on our way to completing both of our June dates. It will happen. Soon. So, I'll leave you in suspense as to what those dates were.

But we did complete our July dates. Our "in" date was a game night. Many people know that Brad and I love to play games. When we first got married we usually played either Sequence or Yahtzee every night (it's hard finding two player games!). We even tried hosting a monthly game night. Our friends know when they're invited to our house they can always count on us to pull out a game to play. Well, since having Micah we just haven't had much time to play games together. Usually by time we put him to bed we're both so tired we just want to sit on the couch and not think. But we miss it so much. So, we had a fun game night. First, we played Yahtzee. I won (best 2 out of 3). I should point out at almost any game we play (with the exception of Speed or Speed Uno) Brad typically wins. He's a much better strategizer, I just don't have the patience to think things through enough. I hate thinking past my current turn, but Brad knows what impact each of his turns has and he has some idea of what I could do and then what he would do in response, yada, yada, yada. Anyway, Brad usually wins. But not this time. I won Yahtzee. So, I got to pick the next game that we played. MarioKart, something we haven't played in a LONG time. Even though it's not a strategy game, Brad usually wins. I'm convinced it's because he's a boy and boys have some innate talent when it comes to video games. So, he did win MarioKart (2/3), which meant he got to choose the last game we played (I should pause here to say someone always has to come out the big victor of the night so we couldn't possibly leave it at each of us winning at one game. One couple we play with always has stakes going on a game. The losers always have to do something for the winner. We should have thought of that before we started playing, but we didn't so this game night was just for bragging rights.). He chose our old standby, Sequence. We both have a deep love for Sequence. Seriously, great game. And I won. Yep. I came out the victor of game night. Poor Brad. Looking forward to our next game night already so that he can take the bragging rights from me. Regardless of who won (did I mention it was ME?), we both had a really great night. It was so nice to just play games together and have fun. Definitely reminded us of how much we enjoy that and that we need to do it more often.

So, we went on our "out" date last night. We hired a baby sitter and went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 at Hollywood Palms. It's a bit of a tradition for us. We've seen, I think, 3 of the Harry Potter movies at Hollywood Blvd. It's a great experience. Not only do you get to see it on the big screen, but you get to eat dinner at the same time. We always love going, and it's honestly very reasonably priced (seriously, movie tickets way cheaper than Marcus!). The movie was awesome. We both read all of the books beforehand (years before) so were really looking forward to the movie. I can't comment on how the book compared to the movie because the book is so full that I forget a lot of the details (and really you can't expect them to all be included in the movie anyway), but the movie was really excellent. Another great night out just the two of us. Seriously, we need to do that more often.

Here are some pictures from our game night. I forgot to take some from Harry Potter.



No comments:

Post a Comment