Saturday, September 3, 2011

"Yes" Day

I was going to post our August dates. Because we finished them. Even before August ended. But then I remembered what today was. Five years ago today, Brad asked me to marry him. And I said yes. To say that I was surprised would be lying. I remember going to bed the night before and telling Brittany, "I think I'm going to get engaged tomorrow!" I could barely sleep from the excitement. Brad and I had been talking about getting engaged for quite some time. We knew we wanted to get married the following year. I had been patiently (well, okay, maybe not so patiently...I only bothered him about it once a week) waiting all summer for Brad to propose. But here it was the official end of summer and still no ring on my finger.

But Brad told me he had big plans for my birthday. I just knew it had to be the day. It took everything I had not to bust at the seams from the very first moment I woke up. Brad took me to see Wicked for my birthday. It was a great show. The entire time I kept thinking he was just too cool to be proposing. If he was going to do it he'd be fidgety or sweaty or something. I was trying to calm myself down, to tell myself maybe it wasn't going to happen today. After the show we went to Weber Grill for dinner. Brad knows that one of my absolute favorite foods is hamburgers on the grill so what better place to eat dinner? Unfortunately, we both had queasy stomachs so neither of us ate very much. Since we finished dinner early Brad had to kill some time so we walked around a bit. We ended up by Watertower Mall where there was a horse carriage waiting for us. Brad hired her to take a special trip around the City. She even took us (illegally) around Buckingham Fountain and dropped us off at the harbor. During the ride, we talked about some of our favorites from our relationship (favorite date, favorite trip, etc.) We just reminisced about the six years that we'd been together. Then, we walked to the pier where we had our first kiss and sitting in the grass was a blanket with rose petals and candles strewn all over it. We went to sit down. Now, Brad was talking about our future and he pulled out a bucket with some water and soap. He knelt down and washed my feet to demonstrate his love for me and how he wants to serve me for the rest of our lives. Then, he mentioned how where we were sitting we could look back on our past (the place where we had our first kiss) and look around us at the city and see all of the wonderful possibilities we have for our future. And he asked me to marry him. I, of course, said yes! I was so excited to finally be engaged.

As magical and memorable as that day was, every day since then has only been better. I am so thankful to be married to the most kind, generous man I know. A man who truly desires to put my happiness above everything else. A man who loves me with his whole heart and isn't afraid to show it. Five years ago Brad made me so happy, but it's the days since then that have been even better. The days that I get to spend with him just doing nothing. The days that I get to play with our son together. The days that we just drive around, looking at houses, and talking. The days where we sit around in our pajamas all day and just be together. Five years ago I said "yes" and I've never looked back!

No comments:

Post a Comment