Friday, June 15, 2012

Strawberry Picking

Part of being a June Cleaver wannabe (see this post) is wanting to make homemade jelly.  I love the idea of picking fresh fruit and turning it into yummy food.  Even though I don't like jelly I want to make for the boys.  So, last week we went strawberry picking. 

When I was little, my mom used to take us and then we made jelly.  So, I invited my mom to come with us this time.  We found a place not far from home and had lots of fun picking.  Micah was a great help.  He got right down there and knew what to do.  Of course, he didn't know not to pick the green ones, but he still did a great job.  Sometimes I would turn around and find the box gone.  Micah would pick it up and walk a little further down the aisle so that he could pick the strawberries down there.  It was the cutest thing.  When we were done, we didn't have enough to make jelly so I just froze a bunch and saved some for us for right now.  The strawberries were delicious in a smoothie!

I think we're going to try to go back and pick raspberries and blueberries this summer, too.  Plus, my parents have a small strawberry patch in their backyard so I'm hoping we'll be able to freeze some more strawberries for the winter.  Even though we weren't able to make jelly, we had a blast picking.  And I still feel like June Cleaver. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment