Monday, July 23, 2012

Try for a girl?

I was at the grocery store today with both boys and the cashier commented on how since I have two boys I not have to "try for a girl."  She went on to talk about how boys may be "easier" when they're teens, but as adults they never call their mom, whereas girls call their mom all the time. 

There are so many things I can say about that conversation.

Yes, I have always wanted to be the mother of girls.  And it was only magnified by the fact that my sister has three daughters.  I dream of tutus, hair bows, and pretty leggings.  I could play with Barbies for hours. 

When we first found out we were having a boy, I was devastated.  I know it sounds terrible, and I felt bad that I felt that way, but I couldn't help it.  I didn't know little boys.  How do you play with cars?  I mean, what can a car do except drive in a circle?  I can't build anything unless you give me a picture to copy.  And I'm not a big fan of getting dirty.  Plus, let's be honest here, boys' clothes are nowhere near as much fun as girls' clothes!  What do boys have--basketball shorts?

It took me a while to get used to the idea of being a mom of a boy.  I've traded in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty for Buzz Lightyear and Lightning McQueen (who Micah affectionately calls "Ka-cow").  I'm building towers instead of sipping tea.  Instead of skirts and hair bows I'm dressing him in hats and ties (and boy does he look cute!). 

I love being the mom of boys.  We have so much fun together.  Micah has opened up a whole new world to me.  Yes, he keeps me very busy.  Most nights I drop into bed and fall asleep in no time flat.  But I love it.  I love watching him explore at the park and the look of concentration he gets on his face when he's trying to build something.  I love how he blocks everything else out when he's watching his favorite movie.  I love how as soon as you ask him if he wants to go outside he's got his shoes in his hands and is standing by the door, anxiously waiting for you to take him.  And when you get outside, he can't sit still.  He's going from the chalk to the bubble to his car back to the chalk and around again.

I've learned how to be the mom of boys.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.  Yes, Brad and I want more children in our future.  And I would still love to have a little girl someday.  But I don't need to "try" for a girl.  If we only ever have boys, that's okay.  I am blessed by my boys and I don't need a girl to feel fulfilled as a mom.  My boys are just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment