Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Accepting the Joy Dare

I mentioned before that there were some challenges I was going to do this year.  One challenge is the Joy Dare.  Last year I read the book 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  In the book, Voskamp talks about how she decided to challenge herself to keep track of 1000 blessings from God.  Not your typical blessings,but little ones that often go unnoticed.  She was challenged to really look for God's blessing in her life.  It was a great book and really challenged me to look for God in my own life.  It reminded me of when I was in college and one of my professors would always begin class asking "How did you see God today?"  Voskamp has a great blog.  It's so challenging and inspirational.  So, I decided to join the community this year and keep track of my own 1000 gifts.

So, I'm going to start right now.  Yesterday and today's blessings:

Three Things Heard:
  1. Judah laughing at his big brother.
  2. Fireworks as we rang in the new year.  The sound of a fresh start!
  3. The sound of receiving a text message and knowing that I have friends who care about me and   
      know my child so well.

A Gift Outside, Inside, on a Plate:
  1. Cards in my mailbox, personal cards that require no money from me!
  2. A washing machine that I use daily so that I don't have to wash clothes by hand.
  3. Yummy leftover orange dip.  We're eating better in the Kolar house, but can't waste leftovers!

What about you?  Will you take the dare with me?  What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment