Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year's Goals

I already mentioned how I have decided to name this year.  This year my focus is simplicity.  In thinking about it, sometimes simplicity is actually quite complicated.  Ironic, huh?

I want to simplify my life, to not worry about the little things, but to be focused on a few important things.  But what are those things?  And what do I do to focus on them?  I love setting goals.  I always feel so accomplished when I've achieved them.  That's one reason why I love New Year's.  I don't really like setting New Year's resolutions because they're so vague and unclear.  Instead, I like to set goals.  I look at all different areas of my life (my kids, my role as wife, finances, spiritual life, housekeeping, etc.) and think about what I would like them to look like at the start of 2014.  I know perfections isn't possible so I pick a few small goals in each area and make those my goals for 2013.  Sometimes the goals are real simple and can be achieved quickly (i.e. save $1000 for vacation) and other times they are more difficult and might not even be achieved by the end of the year.  But I think it's good to always be thinking about how we can better ourselves.  One of my favorite quotes comes from my high school youth group: If better is possible, good is not enough.  I try to live by that.  If I can be doing better, I want to be working toward that.  Not towards perfection, just towards better.  So, without further ado, here are a few of my 2013 goals:

Financial
  *Pay for (all) vacation(s) with cash.
       We currently have a vacation to the Outer Banks planned, and I'm hoping to go on a few mini
        vacations.  I would like to use all cash, only cash for all of them.  Not even put it on the credit
        card this month and pay off next month.
   *Pay off one student loan.
        Brad and I each have a couple student loans.  It can get discouraging sometimes to see so many
        little loans so I'd like to knock out at least one of them.
   *Start doing home repairs so that we can sell our house when we want to.
        We're not really sure when we're going to sell our house yet, but there are definitely a few things
         that will need to be fixed before we can do that so better to be prepared.

Home
    *Go on monthly dates with my husband.
         Brad and I both know how important it is that we have time to get away just the two of us.  We
         both need that time together, but aren't always great about making it a priority.  So, this year we
         will make it a priority!
    *Be more present with my kids.
         I love staying home with my kids.  I tell Brad often how thankful I am that he goes to work so
         that I don't have to.  But sometimes I forget what a blessing it is.  I get distracted by other
         things.  But I will never get this time back, and I really want to enjoy every minute of it.  I want
         to get down on the ground and play with them more.  I want to go to the children's museum
         without anyone else.  I want to play at the park for hours.  I want to sit and read books all
         morning or snuggle together and watch a movie.  I want to do craft projects and play games.  I
         want to get messy and follow their lead.
      *Complete the cookbook challenge.
          More and more I'm discovering how much I love to cook.  It's just so much easier to eat out.
          But in 2013 I want to cook more meals.  A great way to do this is by participating in this
          challenge.  Both Brad and I are really excited about it.  We have decided to use the Biggest
          Loser Family Edition cookbook, which goes great with Brad's word for 2013, which is
          "healthy."

Spiritual
      *Faithfully finish BSF.
           I have truly enjoyed participating in BSF this year.  I am learning so much and being
           challenged beyond what I could have imagined.  I want to finish strong and I look forward to
           starting the new study in the fall.
      *Model and practice spiritual habits with the boys.
            I want Micah and Judah to see me praying and reading my Bible every day.  I want them to
            see the joy that I find in worshipping through music.  But I want them to participate in these
            activities themselves.  I want to pray daily with Micah and regularly read Bible stories so that
            he, too, can find what a joy it is to be in the present of God.
       *Pray and read the Bible daily with my husband.
            Brad and I do pray and read the Bible together daily.  But we do it before bed which is not
            always the most quality time.  My goal is for us to move that time from night to morning.  I
            know how important it is for us to start our day off on the right foot together so it is my goal
            that we would consistently start our mornings together in the Word and praying for each other.

Those are just a few of my goals for 2013, what are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment