Sunday, December 4, 2011

Preparing for Christmas

I cannot believe it's been so long since I last posted. Having a one-year-old keeps me busy! But with my favorite time of year upon us I just had to get back in the swing of things.

Thanks to some friends I now have another addiction: pinterest. As if I didn't have enough things to keep me occupied while Micah takes his naps (cleaning the house being at the bottom of the list), now I like to spend hours on the computer looking at other people's fun, creative crafts, activities, decorations, recipes, etc. Seriously. I spend way too much time looking at pins. Anyway, I've seen a lot about advent calendars. Growing up we never had an advent calendar. I didn't really understand what they were. But the calendars I was finding on Pinterest were activity calendars. Instead of finding a chocolate inside, there's something fun to do. An activity that shares the spirit of the season.

I am determined to make Christmastime a fun, magical time at our house. I want every day to be special. I want the coming birth of Jesus to always be on our mind. I want to be excited about spending time together as a family, baking cookies, and making decorations. So, I was in search of the perfect activity advent calendar. I found it! I quickly found 24 activities that I thought we could do with Micah, even though he's so young. Then, I found a way to create the calendar that was creative and different. I have to admit, it's not quite done yet. I still have to hang it, but when it's done I'll post a picture. Oh, and I really like to make things by hand, not with the computer, but I don't have a lot of Christmas stickers/embellishments so it's not as cute as I'd like it to be. I'm hoping to keep the idea the same, but improve it's look as the years go on.

My goal is to take a picture of us doing every activity and then I'll post about it later that night. Right now Brad is out with Micah and they have the camera with them (the only downfall of keeping it in the diaper bag), so I'll have to post what we've done with pictures later.

In the meantime, what are you doing to prepare for Christmas? I'd love to hear about your traditions and what you're looking forward to!

1 comment:

  1. So far, I haven't really done anything to prepare... :( Wait, I did hang our wreath on the door yesterday, so one point for me there. :)

    I've been seeing a lot about Advent calendars too, and one of the blogs I read had a post about their new Advent/holiday tradition. Here's the link: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2011/12/our-holiday-countdown-project.html I like that idea because she doesn't have to make something new every year, but her kids are elementary-school-age, so it's kind of a different situation than with your fam. I'm sure some of the ideas could be the same or adapted, but as your kids grow, I'm sure you would be able to do different types of activities, so you might want something different each year or that could at least be changed or added to each year, in which case her idea would probably work, you'd just change some or all of the cards. Anyway, your post made me think of it, so I figured I'd share. :)

    ReplyDelete