Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mother's Day

I love Mother's Day.  It's so easy to get caught up in the busyness of having to visit and spend time with all of the moms, but what Mother's Day is all about is pretty awesome.  It's a day to celebrate being a mom.  Sometimes I think we have it all wrong.  It's not about the presents or a delicious brunch or planting flowers.  It's about celebrating motherhood.

It's about waking up in the middle of the night for the fourth time because the baby only wants Mommy.  It's about dried food on your clothes and you didn't even know it.  It's about listening to your two-year-old cry for the 523,209,203 time today and you still have no idea why.  It's about holding your baby in your arms, looking into his eyes and feeling so in love that you know you would do anything for him.  Anything.

I love Mother's Day.  And I am so blessed to have two wonderful little boys who have made me a mommy and given me the opportunity to be part of this blessed day.  All day I couldn't help but think about my boys and the joy that they bring to my life.  I started a new tradition this year of writing them each a letter.  I've wanted to start some sort of regular writing tradition, but major holidays and events kept passing so quickly and I would forget.  Mother's Day is the perfect time.  In honor of Mother's Day and the boys who made this day possible for me, I want to write a little bit about each of them.

Micah is just turning into a boy right in front of my eyes.  He says stuff like, "I don't like raisins, I like fruit snacks" and "that building is kinda like a hopible (hospital)" all the time.  He is very active, too, and loves being outside.  We are never outside for longer than 2 minutes before he's bending down and picking up a rock from off the ground.  He's always carrying a rock.  Or two.  Or three.  A couple weeks ago our baby sitter drew hopscotch for him and now whenever he goes out the door he has to do hopscotch ("One! Two! Nine! Ten!").  Doesn't matter that the rain washed it away over a week ago.  Micah is obsessed with trains.  Obsessed.  When we're in the car he wants us to go certain ways so that we can "go over the twacks."  And he names every train.  Every train.  "That's James.  That's like Thomas, Mommy!"  He could play with his trains all day long if we let him.  Micah knows his letters, numbers, shapes, and colors.  He loves to do "pwojects," especially if they involve learning. ;)  He's such a sweet, sensitive boy who loves to read and sit in my lap to watch Thomas.  He makes me laugh a million times a day and smile even more.  Micah made me a Mommy and I enjoy every minute with him.

Judah has been more of a challenge from the day he was born.  It didn't take us long to realize that Judah was going to make sure he was heard.  He cried a lot more in the hospital than Micah ever did.  I remember our first night in the hospital, the nurses were swamped and they would not take him to the nursery.  Judah just would not go to sleep, and Brad, especially, was getting really frustrated.  He was practically in tears at one point and just said, "They don't know what a long day we've had?"  We should have known that it was only a sign of things to come. ;)  At one year, Judah still is not sleeping through the night.  Not even close.  He wakes up more now than he did as an infant!  But he's really good about eating and going right back to sleep.  Judah still takes two two-hour naps and goes down so well!  He lets us put him down awake and if he's not ready to sleep yet he'll just play in his crib until he is ready.  Judah loves chasing after his big brother.  He will just sit there and watch for a little while and then he tried to do whatever Micah is doing.  Lately, he picks up a car or train and runs it across the floor.  He is trying so hard to play cars/trains, too!  Judah has the best laugh.  He loves playing peek-a-boo.  It's a surefire way to get him to laugh!  He's crawling all over the place now and pulling himself up on everything.  It won't be long until he takes his first step.  His favorite game is "see how many steps I can climb before Mom gets me."  When he hears me coming he just busts out laughing and climbs faster.  Judah is such a snuggler, too.  I love that because Micah has never been much of a snuggler.  My favorite is when I pick up Judah and he rests his head on my shoulder.  Sometimes he'll just sit in my lap and be perfectly content that way.  I love it. Judah loves pretty much any food he's ever tried.  If he sees you eating something he has to have some of it, and if you try to give him something different he gets very angry.  Judah is definitely Mama's boy, but I don't mind.  I'm enjoying every minute of being his mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment