Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2: Daily Devotions

Today's change is to do daily devotions.  This is something we have striven to do for more than 10 years.  In high school, we learned about the importance of a daily quiet time from our youth pastor.  We both have gone through periods of being really good and consistent and periods of forgetting for longer than we would like to admit.  With each life change comes a change in routine, which means re-setting our priorities.

Personally, having a baby always messes up my routine.  Waking up in the middle of the night makes it difficult to wake up early to read your Bible.  However, I do believe that God knows all of that and understands it.  He gets that it's hard for a new mom to wake up at 6:00am every day when she has woken up at 2:00 and 4:00 already.  But he still wants my time. 

I am in a relationship with God.  And just like all of my other relationships, I have to nurture and cultivate this relationship.  I have to make time to talk with God.  I have to sit down and listen to him talking to me.  Daily.  This might look a little different day to day (because some days I have time for an hour and other days I can barely squeeze in 5 minutes), but it is still something that needs to be at the top of my priority list.

And since this month is about re-focusing on God, what better way to begin the month than by committing to do a daily quiet time?  This time looks a little different for both Brad and I.  I have committed to waking up in the morning before the rest of my family (well to the best of my ability--I really can't control what time Judah decides to wake up) and doing my Bible Study Fellowship homework.  Because of his work schedule, Brad has decided to commit to just having a daily quiet time with God.  Some days it might be in the morning and other days before we go to bed.

I am really excited about this time because I know that whenever you spend regular time with God you will be blessed.  I am eager to learn and see what God has in store for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment