Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 3: Limited Computer Time

I know I've said it before, but the computer is a huge time-stealer for me.  I spend way too much time on the computer.  I regularly read probably about 20 blogs and check facebook at least 500 times a day.  Then there's pinterest.  Oh my goodness, I could spend hours on pinterest! 

I have felt the guilt about my computer time many times before.  I try to stay away from it when the boys are awake, but it's so easy to "just real quick check facebook" after Micah has been playing nicely by himself for a minute.  And it's easy to get lost looking for a recipe on pinterest.  I can't tell you how many times I have sat down at the end of the night only to find that I have spent 2 or more hours on the computer and gotten nothing else accomplished.  It's sad, really.

And not how I want to live my life.

This time with my boys is so short.  They are growing up so quickly and I want to enjoy every minute of it.  I don't want to be worrying about who commented on my status update.  Or wondering if I could find more fun activities to do with Micah (seriously, I have enough to last us until Judah is 30!).  I want to be down on the ground playing with my boys.  Going for nature walks.  Reading books.  I want my boys to feel like I want to spend time with them, not like I have to.  And I know that being on the computer so much prevents that from happening.

So for the month of October, I am limiting my computer time.  In an attempt to spend more quality time with my sons I can check my e-mail and facebook when I wake up in the morning.  Then, I cannot go on the computer again until the boys have gone to bed for the night.  And then it's only for an hour.  Seriously.  I have a timer sitting next to the computer.

For the record, I have 27 minutes left tonight.

Maybe you feel like that's too tough.  I mean, what does it matter once the boys are in bed?  But the truth is there are so many other things that I like to do that I just haven't been making the time for lately.  I love to read.  But sitting down at the computer mindlessly just seems so much more appealing lately.  I want to get back into the habit of reading regularly because it is something I really enjoy.  And it's pretty sad when it takes me more than a month to finish a book.  I love to scapbook, too.  And I am so far behind with my books that it's sad. 

I also try to do housework during nap time now.  If I can get it done while the boys are sleeping that is less time taken away from them as well.  Plus, it's so much easier to clean the bathroom when I'm not worried about if Micah is climbing on top of Judah!

I know that this little change is going to make a big difference this month, but I'm really hoping that it will turn into a good habit.  I'm hoping that I will find that I don't miss the time on the computer as much as I thought I would and that I prefer reading a book.  Or spending time playing with my boys.  I'm hoping that it fosters a better relationship because I'm spending more quality time with them.

And hopefully I'll be putting some of those pinterest ideas to good use!

No comments:

Post a Comment